Importance of Rapport Building
Do you feel like you have students or a student that you just can’t get to participate in their counseling sessions?
It’s tough to support students with social and emotional learning when they don’t yet know you, trust you, or think that you are an awesome therapist. Kids with emotional difficulties can be especially tough nuts to crack. Building rapport is the key to getting your students to like you, trust you, and want to work with you. Asking children about themselves helps them to see that you are interested in them and care about their lives. That is part of building trust and rapport.
Here are 25 questions that I typically ask during the first few sessions. Most are questions that are in the various games that I use to show students that counseling can be fun. For older children, however, I may just incorporate these questions into conversational rapport building. And…don’t forget to share a little about yourself too! When appropriate, letting them get to know you is also part of building trust. Show them that you are also human, and have things that you like and dislike. Be personable. It’s counseling!
25 Rapport Building Questions:
- What do you like to do for fun outside of school?
- Do you have a nick-name?
- What is your favorite… (movie, book, band, video game etc.)?
- What outdoor activity or sport do you play?
- What is an important rule to follow at school?
- When were you last angry?
- Who are your friends at School?
- If you could be a cartoon character, who would you be?
- What makes someone a good friend to you?
- What makes you a good friend to others?
- Do you have a pet of favorite animal?
- She one interesting fact about yourself.
- What is a goal that you have for this school year?
- What school subject do you find frustrating?
- What is one thing that you like about school?
- What is one thing that you wish were different at school?
- What do you like about your family?
- What do you not like to do at home?
- If you won 1 million dollars, what would you buy?
- If you had a magical wish, what would you wish for?
- What types of videos make you laugh?
- What is your favorite food for breakfast?
- What subject do you need help with in school?
- What is your favorite and least favorite food?
- What hobby are you interested in learning?